NEW MUSIC: Composition Contest
Vox Musica, the Sacramento based women’s vocal ensemble, is pleased to announce their third annual 2015/16 New Music Composition Competition. Local Sacramento composers of any age, gender, creed, or nationality may submit compositions for women’s chamber choir. In honor of our Tenth Anniversary we wanted to focus our contribute to our community compositions that are influenced by or based on Sacramento themes, text, poets/poetry, or history. The winning compositions will be featured in a public performance. In addition, the ensemble’s top choice, will be considered for a publishing opportunity. Each winning piece will be performed in their entirety on Vox Musica’s Concert Project TEN: A Community Sing Celebration on May 22, 2016.
- The composer must currently live or must have been born and raised in the greater Sacramento area.
- Each composition must be newly composed and influenced by or based on Sacramento themes, text, poets/poetry, or history.
- Only public domain texts can be used.
- A composer may submit up to two compositions (two works for women’s choir).
- It must be scored for women’s voices and within the ranges of (E3 – C6).
- The part writing can be anywhere between 1-12 vocal parts but must not exceed 12 notes for the choir in any given chord.
- It can be purely a-capella, or could include piano accompaniment and/or an obligato instrument (unique accompaniments will only be considered if access to the instrument or player is readily available (i.e. electronic/digital accompaniment, local musician with unique instrument is willing and available to play at our concerts on behalf of the composer).
- Works with large instrumental accompaniment will NOT be considered.
- Compositions must not exceed 15 minutes in duration.
The jury for this competition will consist of Vox Musica, their Music Director, and other distinguished choral professionals.
How to Apply
Submit Compositional Portfolio. Composition Portfolios can be submitted (A) via US Mail or (B) Digitally and must include:
- A cover letter containing all necessary contact information and describing how your music is influence or connected to Sacramento.
- A CV containing a list of works and performance history, if applicable.
- A maximum of two professional quality scores (pdf format only if submitting digitally).
- Recordings of your pieces are welcomed but are NOT mandatory (Compact Disc or MP3 format only).
Composition Portfolios will NOT be returned to the applicant.
April 1, 2016.
(A) HOW TO SUBMIT VIA US MAIL:
Package together all requested portfolio materials, current contact information and provide your name on all enclosed documents.
US POST YOUR MATERIALS TO:
1017 L Street #333
Sacramento, CA 95814
(B) HOW TO SUBMIT DIGITALLY:
Package or ZIP all PDF’s of the requested portfolio materials and email to Vox Musica.
EMAIL APPLICATION DOCUMENTS TO:
PLEASE NOTE: To be considered all materials must be emailed or mailed by: April 1, 2016.
April 1, 2016.